Should You Worry About Smart Home Hacking In Charleston?
In many ways, smart components like surveillance systems and video doorbells have boosted our home security. We can get notifications if a stranger comes up our front porch, and we can even have footage delivered to us when dubious behavior is detected. Having implements we are able to interact with over the internet warns us of developing threats immediately. But there is one chief drawback. The access we enjoy is also cracking a door open for virtual intrusions.
Although you don’t need to lay awake at night fretting over smart home hacking in Charleston, you need to be cognizant of the risk involved and take steps to circumvent it.
How To Prevent Smart Home Hacking
It would seem that practically everything is connected to the internet these days - home security devices, televisions, and even your home appliances like ovens and fridges. The issue is that this creates more opportunities for cyber criminals to sneak into your network. With that being said, you don’t have to eschew wireless home protection packages or other smart components. Instead, consider these recommendations and do your part to keep invaders off your network.
- Protect with hard-to-guess passwords: This is a necessity for every account, especially your home’s wireless network. Use uppercase and lowercase and an assortment of numbers, letters, and special characters. Don’t use birthdays, street names, or other things hackers may easily figure out. A password generator will give you something completely random and a password management tool will assist you in tracking your various accounts and passwords.
- Avoid default settings: When setting up a new router, it will probably come with a preprogrammed password to help you get started. Don’t forget to update it. Hackers may know these default passwords too. Configuring your private network and home router properly from day one will go a long way to keeping you secure.
- Create more than one network: Why include your smart range, your home security components, and the laptop you use for work on the same network? Most routers will let you initiate a separate guest network. Take advantage of it and protect private information present on your laptop, desktop, and phone.
- Consider installing a firewall: Firewalls aren’t only for businesses. They may also be integrated with your home network. Firewalls will keep an eye on what’s happening on your network and thwart suspect activity. You could begin with a router that offers a built-in firewall.
- Choose the latest encryption settings and security protocols: If you own a recently manufactured router, you may be able to incorporate WPA3, the latest wireless security protocol. If that’s not an option, WPA2 with AES encryption is still a good choice. You need to find home security devices that protect with 128-bit encryption or higher.
- Be certain software and firmware is current: Keep your operating systems at the latest levels for all devices, including your integrated video cameras. Many times, these updates will address known issues and bolster your network’s security.
Be Wary of Shoddy Smart Home Equipment In Charleston
One of the advantages of choosing a trusted company like ADT is knowing that security components are regularly being examined to address any vulnerabilities. Other off-the-shelf products may not act in the same fashion. Purchasing your smart thermostat, video doorbell, surveillance system, and additional smart devices from one source like ADT is the right move. And deciding to have all of your components connected at the same time will go a long way to ensuring proper configuration, performance, and security. It’s also worthwhile to point out that ADT Command, your centralized touchscreen, employs two-way encryption when engaging with with your connected components.
Customize Your Own Charleston Home Security System
Now that you have more knowledge on how to keep your home network safe from cyber criminals, it’s time to get started on your own smart home security system in Charleston. The security specialists at Secure24 Alarm Systems are here to find the ideal package for your family. Dial (843) 305-8663 or submit the form to take your protection to a new level.